Thursday, June 19, 2008

but that was when i ruled the world...


I'm writing this post from North Carolina, although by the time people read this I may be back in Cleveland, where the soap actually comes off of your body when you shower.

Back in 2003, a little over five years ago, I was starting my second co-op term with Moen. For the first month of that assignment I was stationed down at Moen's plant in Sanford, North Carolina and living in an extended stay suite in nearby Cary (a suburb of Raleigh).

Even though at this point in my lifetime a month only represents 0.3% of my total time on earth, those four weeks in Sanford always feel longer than that whenever I look back on them. A lot seemed to be happening in my life at that particular juncture and I was coming off my last truly challenging semester at Case. I idealistically joked that I was entering my own personal Year of Jubilee.

The biggest reason that month strikes me as especially poignant is that it was my first real time on my own (albeit a relatively short one). I was no longer surrounded by friends, family, or peers. I was buying my own groceries, doing my own cooking, exploring a new town with no real contacts (besides Jon Dewey's parents, who I took to meeting at church on Sundays). I felt a little bit isolated at times, but overall I like to think I made an admirable 'go' of things. I look back fondly on that month.

I was down in North Carolina this week on business, but for the first time since being hired, my return flight necessitated an overnight stay closer to RDU. Cary is close to the airport, so that's where I booked my hotel. After arriving in the late afternoon, I thought I'd take the opportunity to go for a run in my old neighborhood (the Cary Hampton Inn is less than a half-mile from the extended stay hotel).

I ran a route past my old little 'apartment' and the office parks I used to see on a daily basis. I took a lap around the Amphitheater down the street and jogged down the Cary Greenway. All this probably means nothing to the reader, but it felt oddly familiar and comfortable to the writer. Though it looked like there were some new subdivisions in the vicinity, the area around the extended stay appeared largely unchanged. It was like seeing an old friend.

During the run my thoughts naturally drifted to the last five years. It didn't seem like that long ago that I was running these streets for the first time.

I wonder if I've used the time well, if I have enough to show for the elapsed time. I suppose I've got a bachelor's degree, a full-time job, and a completed screenplay in tow now, so that's something. My real hope is that I haven't gotten overly cynical since graduation or lost most of the earnestness I think I had back in college. What would 22-year-old MWH think of me if the two of us met for a drink?

I think at the very least he'd be surprised and impressed that I am training for a marathon. And blogging (although that probably wouldn't impress him).

Okay, time for me to scoot. Both Cook Out and Goodberry's are calling my name. It's been a good day and I am thankful for the chance to reconnect with Cary, NC.















1 comment:

dan remein said...

bring me back some custard. i have to say that i have been anticipating such scenarios in my own mind while cycling (though not running) around pittsburgh, from whence i am moving in so short a time. pre-nostalgia mayhap.