Sunday, November 9, 2008

month 11


While running yesterday through weather that was nothing if not "November-ish", it seemed pretty clear that old man 2008 is nearing his end. Now that the clocks have changed, we've entered the season when nearly all of my daylight hours are spent indoors. This is a depressing thought for cubicle-dwellers like myself, but we were at least given one last week of temperate weather (that I wish I could have bottled).

If last week was indeed the last fair weather we are to have here in Cleveland this year, I am very glad that I went out with the running club during lunch on Thursday. We ran four miles at a brisk pace, on Metropark paths that looked almost golden because of all the fallen yellow leaves. It was only the second workout since the race, and the first that my body felt more or less back to normal. And after a few weeks of finding it awfully easy to put off running until another day, it felt great to really run again without any significant pain (though I was a bit sore on Friday). A fitting sendoff to the 2008 running season.

Now, there is still the question of a Turkey Trot later this month, but part of me feels like there is nothing left to prove. I foresee difficulty in forcing myself to go outside and run fast to prepare when I can instead just sit inside in the company of my slippers and some radiators. And I also remember how I felt after the race two years ago, when it took over ten minutes for me to come to the conclusion that no, I was not going to have to throw up after all.

There's still that pull though. I must be kinda fond of this running stuff.

No comments: