Thursday, October 2, 2008

deep thoughts


A few years ago I started writing a short film called The Runner (Sreenath, if you are reading this, I have not yet given up). It basically follows a guy on a run while he shares his thoughts in voiceover narration.

The irony is that, though I often think that I will be able to ponder deep thoughts as I run, it's hard to muster the necessary focus for that kind of activity. My thoughts never go much further than how I am feeling, or the environment/scenery/weather.

Not that this is a bad thing. In fact, it may be one of the fundamental reasons I like running.

In my daily life I often find myself busier than I think I should be. I flit like a moth between different tasks and activities, balancing demands and expectations of myself and others. Running is one way of disconnecting, it gives me the rare opportunity to just "be". While out on a run, my only responsibility is to put one foot in front of the other. There's not much else to think about, and like I said, not much else my mind can wrap itself around even if I wanted it to. I am at home in my own skin, using the limbs that are frequently dormant during the 40 hour work week. No business to attend to, no other problems to solve, just doing something I'm good at, something I like to do.

And really, I think it even goes beyond the simple question of like/dislike. By now, at this point in my life, running is part of who I am. Lacing up the sneakers, stretching, the after-workout Gatorade, these are all meaningful rituals. Though it involves a lot of movement and activity, a good run often lends a sense of calm and perspective, and in that way, though by the end of a jog I have "produced" nothing of significance, it is often the best possible use of my time. Perhaps the most accurate way to state my feelings is not, "I like running," but rather, "I am a runner."

I think I'm sort of rambling, so instead of trying to wrap this up in some concise way, I'll leave you with a video link that fits nicely. I have a soft spot for television commercials, cause the good ones are almost like little short films. And this is a pretty good one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdeEPhdpay0