Tuesday, October 7, 2008

on the lighter side


I don't know if this is something common that happens to people when they start running regularly, but boy, I sure love Gatorade. In my mind, it's head-and-shoulders above its competition in the sports drink market.

One thing I do find kind of goofy though is the number of different product lines currently offered by the f
olks at Gatorade. A while ago, I thought it would be a fun activity to sample the different varieties and record my impressions. My running schedule paired with Giant Eagle's summer-long sale ($1 for a 32 ounce bottle) made it a relatively simple task.

So over the last few months I've tried a bunch of flavors and have chosen one from each product line to review.
This includes standard Gatorade, Frost, Fierce, A.M., Rain, X-Factor, and G2. The categories I did not test were Xtremo (which I have never actually seen) and Tiger. Seriously, does Tiger Woods need his own line of Gatorade flavors? Does the guy even sweat?

Anyway, here are my findings. I used a four-star rating system.

Gatorade
Lemon-Lime

This is as far as I know the original flavor of Gatorade, and it's easy to understand how it has stood the test of time. A zesty initial rush of lemon is balanced by a mellow lime undertow, resulting in a pleasing, refreshing whole. No bells and whistles, just a solid (but not overpowering) flavor that hearkens back to a simpler time.

* * * of * * * *

Gatorade Frost
Riptide Rush

The purple color would seem to connote an attempt at grape, and while grape is (I think) the prominent taste involved, it is also enhanced by noticeable blueberry notes. It is an elusive flavor, clouded further by use of the word "frost" (is it supposed to taste colder?). But all mysteries aside, it's been a favorite of mine for a few years.

* * * of * * * *

Gatorade Fierce
Strawberry

This one is an all-out assault on the taste buds. Strawberry taken to its syrupy extreme, with a kick that seems to cling to the tastebuds and overstays its welcome on the palette. It tastes kind of like the fruit snacks I used to eat as a kid. I find this "Fierce" concept too intense and pretty abhorrent, but I don't know, maybe Generation Y loves the stuff.

* of * * * *

Gatorade A.M.
Orange-Strawberry

This product line is advertised as Gatorade, but with morning flavors. And indeed, though the label says "orange-strawberry", one definitely gets echoes of blended citrus juices, as hints of orange, pineapple, and tangerine combine to form a pleasant, tropical sort of medley. It comes off as very natural tasting (insofar as this is Gatorade we are discussing). A nice flavor, although it's a little too "Saturday morning breakfast" for my tastes.

* * of * * * *

Gatorade Rain
Tangerine

The "Rain" line of flavors is a really wonderful development, at the opposite end of the spectrum from the "Fierce" offerings. Like Gatorade mixed with rainwater, in a good (metaphorical) way. Tangerine carries a light, pleasing, popsicle-like flavor that ripples refreshingly over the tongue and finishes smooth. This and "Rain" Lime may be my favorites in the entire Gatorade stable.

* * * * of * * * *

Gatorade X-Factor
Lemon-Lime + Strawberry

I have no idea why Gatorade introduced an X-Factor line or what it is supposed to be. The lemon, lime, and strawberry flavors are all present here, but carry some extra baggage. My initial impression was that of salt, so maybe X-Factor contains X-tra electrolytes? An explanation would maybe help justify the flavoring, but without one, the taste is just a bit unnerving.

* of * * * *


Gatorade G2
Grape

G2 is Gatorade's low calorie line. This particular flavor features a layered, candy-grape type taste. It has a very dry finish. Pretty tasty overall, though it carries a little bit of the artificial tang that is typical of Gatorade's competitors (Powerade, Vitamin Water, etc).

* * of * * * *


So that wraps it up. Going forward I feel much more confident in my understanding of Gatorade's flavors and my subsequent Gatorade purchasing choices. For what it's worth.




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

when i had fainting problems last year, i drank tons of gatorade. yum. i like frost and rain of the blue/purple varieties. hate hate hate s-berry. ugh. how do you feel about those gel shots?

Unknown said...

wholly lol...

literally. loved this entry. TOTALLY agree on the Rain line. biggest fan of the Lime flavor. Content knowing that the official flavor for the marathon will me their original Lemon-Lime.

and not sure if you kept your "tasting" technique a constant w/ the large wine glass but it cracked me up. good choice of color, too... florescent blue...

Pietro said...

I always wondered about all these ridiculous variations that Gatorade offers. But I must agree, Gatorade Rain is my favorite. I even make poor man's Gatorade Rain sometimes by cutting the regular stuff with water. ...nice touch with the wine glass. lol.